The Minaret of Jam


Featured in Macworld - one of the best history sites on the web

The Ghurids destroyed the Ghaznevid empire in 1150. Firuzkuh, the capital of the Ghaznevid empire, later destroyed by the Mongols, contained a great mosque.

All that remains is the minaret of Jam, dated 1194, discovered in 1957.

It was a victory memorial as well as a minaret. The name and titles of the ruler are picked out in blue tile, whereas the rest of the decoration including the Koranic text is in cut brick. 213 feet high.

A brick structure with an octagonal shaft laid out in panels connected by interlacing ribbons of inscriptions. The traditional Kufic is used.

copyright 1999-2005 HistoryWiz