logo

The Beehive Tombs at Mycenae

To be ignorant of history is to remain always a child - Cicero
Featured in Macworld - one of the
best history sites on the web

previous slide                        next slide
 

The Beehive Tombs

The Excavations at Mycenae

The Trojan War

Homer

 

Edward Dowdell, 1834 drawing of the interior of what Schliemann called the Treasury of Atreus, after a king mentioned by Homer in The Iliad

 

The Mycenaeans began to use tholos tombs, also called beehive because of their shape, around 1500 BCE. These were large chambers cut into the hillside. The approach to the tomb was a long unroofed passage cut horizontally into the hillside. The stones used to line the tomb were large limestones. The scale of these tombs is enormous. The lintel at the entrance of one of the tombs weighs over 100 tons.

Plan E, “Façade, Plan, and Section of the Treaury Near the Lion's Gate,” Mycenae by Dr. Henry Schliemann, London 1880.

the entrance to the tomb of Atreus

 

 

Return to the Excavations at Mycenae

Part of The Long-Haired Achaeans - The Mycenaeans, a HistoryWiz exhibit

copyright 1999-2008 HistoryWiz

HistoryWiz Books
Your purchase of books or other items through links on this site helps keep this free educational site on the web.

Contact Us